Who doesn’t love a glowing green smoothie? Ok some of you may not, hopefully many do, and many probably don’t know what I’m talking about. Essentially it is a smoothie with lots of good for you ingredients. It’s green because it’s not your typical fruit smoothie, although there are fruits in this, but this smoothie contains lots of green vegetables to help you radiate from the inside out. I got a lot of compliments on my skin, despite all the wedding stress, and I do attribute a lot of it to drinking this green smoothie almost daily. I’ve adapted mine from Kimberly Snyder’s recipe here to suit my tastes.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups water (not boiling or hot)
- 4 romaine leaves
- handful of spinach (baby or regular)
- 2-3 celery stalks
- 1/3 of a long English cucumber
- 1 pear (any type you want, make sure it’s green)
- 1 apple (preferably green but any is fine)
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 lemon
In addition to these ingredients, you’ll obviously need a blender. Obviously getting a Vitamix one would be awesome but honestly, any blender works. I didn’t want my smoothie to become a juice so I’m ok with it being smoothie texture. So here are the steps
- Prep all your veg and fruit by washing and dicing. The lettuce can be torn into smaller pieces, and dice up the fruit, celery, and cucumber into bite size pieces for easy blending.
- Put water and lettuce into blender and blend until smooth
- Add in spinach, do it by handfuls if your blender isn’t the greatest and blend until smooth.
- Add in cucumber and celery and again blend until smooth.
- Add apple and pear and yet again blend until smooth.
- Add in banana and you guessed it, blend until smooth.
- Squeeze in the juice from half a lemon and blend until incorporated. Aha! You thought I was going to say smooth again weren’t you?
- Pour and serve!
I prefer mine chilled in the fridge for a few hours before drinking but you could just an ice cube or two to your glass and voila! Super healthy and I think delicious. It doesn’t taste sweet by any means because there’s so much more veg than fruit in this smoothie, but you do get hints of the sweetness. You don’t really taste the spinach or lettuce because their flavour is so mild. Depending on how large and how many celery stalks you add, the celery taste could be strong. The cucumber makes it taste fresh and the lemon really brightens it up. If you want more of a smoothie texture, add in a whole banana instead of half.
Enjoy and let me know how your glowing green smoothie goes! 🙂